Skip to content

Find help with care and support

Arranging care and support safely

When arranging any type of support or care for yourself or someone else you should think about checks you can make, about the safety and quality of that service and what you can do if you think something is wrong.

Here is some information that can help you to do this:

Care Quality Commission

CQC is the regulator for health and social care. The CQC monitors and inspects health and social care services, publishes assessment of those services, provides advice on what makes a good service and on how to complain about a service.

Disclosure and Barring Service

DBS helps employers make safer recruitment decisions by carrying out DBS checks. It also keeps the list of people who are barred from providing care and support and other regulated activity to adults’ and children and decides whether people should be added to the barred lists

Citizens Advice Bureau

A network of independent charities that offer confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, it also offers a national consumer advice helpline.

Buy with Confidence Scheme

A vetting and monitoring service that is run by the Governments Trading Standards Agency. Every business listed has undergone a series of checks by Trading Standards staff before being approved as a member of the scheme.

Employing a personal assistant (PA)

Anyone considering employing a PA should complete checks to make sure the person they are planning to employ is competent and capable of safely carrying out all tasks that will be required.