Mate crime is when a person is harmed or taken advantage of by someone they thought was their friend.
Certain factors may make a person more susceptible to mate crime:
- having limited close family or friends
- a physical or learning disability
- mental health issues
- misusing drugs and/or alcohol
- isolation from the community
- having low self esteem
If you think that someone is taking advantage of you or someone you know:
- Tell someone you trust, such as a family member, a doctor or the police.
- Do not tell the person who is pretending to be your friend.