You may wish to consider the following guidance before you report a concern to Care Direct.
This should not stop you from calling Care Direct, but will help you to provide us with as much useful information as possible:
- Does the person at risk have care and support needs?
- If so, does this mean they are unable to protect themselves from abuse or neglect?
- Have you informed them that you are thinking about reporting a safeguarding concern?
- Does the person have capacity and have they given their valid and informed consent? or
- They do not have capacity to consent to this referral, but it is being made in their best interest? or
- The person has capacity, but has not consented, but there is significant risk to life and limb or wider public interest?
- If it is safe to do so, have you talked to the person about what has happened to them?
- If so, have you asked them what is important to them and what they want to happen?
- Are there any other adults or children at risk in the situation?